Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

A turkey farm somewhere in Orange County, Nov. 1951
The list of things I have to be thankful for is far too long to post here. However, I’d like to share at least some of the list as it pertains to local history: I’m thankful for all our great patrons who visit us at the County Archives. From the family that visits us while on vacation, to our regulars, to the folks we set our watches by -- You’ll never meet a more interesting and enjoyable group of individuals. They are the key reason that my job is SO much more than a job to me.

I’m thankful for all the great people who make local history tick here in O.C. – Historical society members, authors, historians, librarians, archivists, teachers, individual volunteers, journalists who write about local history, and owners of old buildings who catch the preservation bug. It’s a privilege to know these people, and I’m looking forward to meeting many more in the coming years.

I’m thankful that I get to work with Phil Brigandi. I’ve learned more from this guy in four years than I could have learned in any four master’s degree programs. He’s not just the County Archivist and probably our best practicing local historian – He’s also a friend, a mentor, a very amusing guy, and a fine example of how to be a good Christian without being obnoxious about it.

I’m thankful to County Clerk-Recorder Tom Daly, for recognizing the importance of Orange County’s historical resources and maintaining the County Archives.

I’m thankful for the growing number of people who read this blog regularly and for those who send me items to include. It’s especially gratifying when I receive emails that say things like, “I never really thought about Orange County’s history until I stumbled across your blog. Now I’m trying to learn more.” That’s music to my ears.

So, thanks! .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, there used to be a turkey farm in Buena Park/ Anaheim that backed up against Centralia Elementary School. As a kid, I remember many times when we'd find turkey heads on the playground - probably thrown over the fence by one of the workers thinking it was funny! This was around 1966 or so. Great Blog!!