Sunday, January 06, 2008

Yet another Orange Lock & Key update

Meanwhile, back at 177 N Glassell,... The photos above show the current state of the signage. Note that the "H.G. Lembcke & Son" sign is actually off to one side.
.
Phil Brigandi writes, "There were any number of grocery stores on that corner, beginning around 1930. It was the North End Grocery in the late 1940s -- a possible candidate for the ["Grocery"] sign. H.G. Lembcke & Son were contractors and roofers. They were at 175 N. Glassell from 1934 until about 1939. H.G. was Herman Lembcke; the "& Son" was Hugo, a classmate of Don Meadows (I met him once)."
.
"...Mike Eltiste owned [the building] for more than 20 years before selling it in 1944. During those years, it was sometimes counted as part of the Eltiste Block. (Properly, the Eltiste Block is the adjoining building to the south [161-73 N. Glassell] that Mike built in 1924)."

6 comments:

ItsNotAPlace said...

I went by yesterday and took some photos myself. I was going to send you photos of the H.G. Lembcke & Son" sign, but you beat me to it. Thanks for staying on top of this story Chris!

ItsNotAPlace said...

any more updates on the signs uncovered at the Orange Lock & Key building? Anyone know if the city or any other group is doing anything with this?

Chris Jepsen said...

I was there last night and the sign hasn't been touched since my last update. I'll keep an eye on it, and if something changes, I'll certainly post something here.

ItsNotAPlace said...

anything new on the old signs discovered at Orange Clock and Key?

Chris Jepsen said...

Not much, but I'll post an update in the next day or two.

BTW,... "Orange CLOCK and Key?"

Dude,... You have clocks on the BRAIN! :-)

ItsNotAPlace said...

HA! that is so funny... I didn't even mean to do that! You are right. I must have clock on the brain!