Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Modjeska, airport mural, Brigandi, plaques, etc.

On this day, 99 years ago, famed stage actress Helena Modjeska died at her home on Bay Island in Newport Bay. These circa 1918 images of that home (above) come from Jeff Delaney's website.
.
While not an Orange County story, some of you might be interested in Phil Brigandi's article about the Ramona Pageant in yesterday's Riverside Press-Enterprise.
.
Speaking of Phil, today was my second-round interview for his old job as County Archivist. (I was his Assistant Archivist for almost 5 years, and have been running the place myself since he left in January.) The field has been narrowed to five applicants, and I'm one of only two who even lives in Orange County. The interview was done over the phone and the panel members were quite reserved in their comments - So I have very little sense of their reaction to me. From my perspective, the stakes are very high. Preserving and sharing our local history through the Archives is far more than just a job.
.
Hokey-smoke! Look at the new comment about the mural at the old Orange County Airport terminal! And before you ask,... Yes, I emailed "DB," and yes, I'm following up on this. Hopefully, DB's snapshots will finally allow for the mural's reinstallation.
.
Tomorrow, O.C. Sheriff Jack Anderson will present a "Q & A" about "Safety and Security in the [Santa Ana] Civic Center." The program will be from noon to 12:30pm on the 3rd floor of the Old Orange County Courthouse, 211 W. Santa Ana Blvd, Santa Ana. One of his topics will be "historical crime problems" - by which I assume he means the recent thefts of historical plaques throughout the area.

No comments: