Monday, August 03, 2009

Yorba Linda / Santa Ana Canyon field trip, Part 4

Okay, I know I said that my last post was the end of the Santa Ana Canyon/Yorba Linda irrigation posts. But I didn't expect reader Glenn Frank would overlay the 1908 map Doug McIntosh provided onto modern maps and satellite photos. These images are so cool, I had to share them. But I can stop any time I want. Really.
The detail image above shows specifically the area we were hiking in on July 25th. Interestingly, the Cajon Canal appears on the map exactly where we saw openings into an underground canal. Now I want to go back and see what else we can find.
Glenn writes, "I took some... maps and messed around with overlaying Doug's map on them. I think this is a pretty good match based on the county line, the drastic horseshoe curve and the rail line (which I think must have been moved in the area of Green River Golf Course when the Prado Dam project went in place) because the rail line matches pretty well until that point. ...I used Macromedia Fireworks."
In case you missed the rest of this series (and your mouse finger is too weary to scroll backward), here are links to the previous three installments: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

8 comments:

Doug said...

This is really amazing overlay work.
This could result in a paper or possible publication.
Very well done.

CoxPilot said...

Great photo work. Wish I would have tried it myself. I remember we used to ride horses out there along the river, at Hart Livestock. They also ran the pony rides at Irvine Park a lot of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Wow; this is really cool! Thanks to all those who contributed to these posts! This is very interesting information you have shared with us. - Daralee

ItsNotAPlace said...

I had fun getting the 1908 map to match the modern maps. Something of a jigsaw puzzle for my weekend entertainment. Happy to do it and glad you could use it in your Blog Chris! -- Glenn

Chris Jepsen said...

Thank you for doing it, Glenn. And thanks again for the 1908 map, Doug. You guys rock! Per usual.

Unknown said...

I wonder if this can be seen in historicaerials.com? They have photos of the area from the 40's.

Rev. Dr. John Benjamin Tatum, D.D., Ph.D. said...

This is where I grew up. First home I lived in was a condo at Woodgate at 6831 Blue Ridge Court, in Yorba Linda. Then we moved to 7761 East Northfield Avenue, just across Esperanza technically in "Anaheim Hills" but in the "flat lands" of the canyon).

John Doe said...

Your historic overlay map is really helpful. I'm looking into why some of the local areas are called "Lost Trough Canyon" or "Wire Springs Canyon."