Saturday, March 19, 2011

Costa Mesa and Swallows Day in Capistrano

Today's three images show Newport Blvd. in Costa Mesa in the 1950s. All three come from the postcard collection of my friend, O.C. Historical Commissioner Don Dobmeier.
The Costa Mesa Historical Society will host Chris Epting, author of many books including the new "Orange County, Then & Now" from Arcadia Publishing. (Not to be confused with Doris Walker's similarly titled book from a couple years ago.) Chris will speak, and presumably sell and sign books, tomorrow, March 20, at 2pm at 1870 Anaheim Ave., Costa Mesa. Sorry I'm just posting this now, but I only learned about it today.
.
And no, I'm not just plugging Chris' talk because he's such a super nice guy. I'll post a review of the new book here as soon as I get a chance to go through it cover-to-cover. It's in my queue here..
The annual Swallows Day Parade & Mercado (a.k.a. Fiesta de las Golondrinas) will be held in downtown San Juan Capistrano on March 26th. Who wants to bet on whether the swallows actually return to Capistrano this time?

2 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Those postcards are UBER cool!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the postcards. Would you just love to go back in time for one day? That era had the coolest cars. Off to check out the rest of your blog.