Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter!

In today's photo, Myrtle Carroll makes Easter bunnies at Knott's Berry Farm's Candy Kitchen in 1957. Click the photo to enlarge it and see all the different varieties of rabbits, chicks, baskets, etc.

Today, of course, they wear sanitary disposable gloves for this kind of work. But in 1957, the bits of gunk under employees' fingernails added essential minerals to children's diets and helped build character. Of course, I still prefer Myrtle's bunnies to cheap candy imported from China. An hour after you ingest Chinese fingernail gunk, you're already hungry again.

4 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Happy Easter Chris!

SundayNight said...

Wonderful photo, although I kinda doubt she is making those bunnies. I think you would be pouring the chocolate into one of those molds. It looks like she has a work area to coat little candies. You know, like that funny I Love Lucy episode!

Connie Moreno said...

"An hour after you ingest..."
LOL!!

Major Pepperidge said...

Awesome photo. I was thinking the same thing as SundayNight, that's kind of a strange way to make chocolate bunnies. However, I'll bet those bunnies are solid, not hollow!