Friday, January 31, 2020

Yes, I'm still a 12-year-old at heart

I was doing some property research this morning and stumbled across this in the Aug. 8, 1955 Pomona Progress Bulletin:
Jolly Neighbors Set Beach Outing
A wiener roast is planned by the Jolly Neighbors Club for Wednesday, at 11 a.m. at the home of Mrs. Esther Schmekel, 735 Main St., Huntington Beach. Members are to provide their own wieners and buns. Further information may be obtained from Mrs. Henry Keister, Ly. 2-5319.
Wait. Let me get this straight... 

Schmekels and Keisters need members to bring weiners and buns

I initially thought this must be a joke played on the newspaper editor. But no. Huntington Beach mayor Marcus M. McCallen sold the house at that address to Charles and Esther Schmekel on Dec. 13, 1943. And a quick check shows that Henry and Hertha Keister were well-known residents of Pomona. As Brigandi used to say, "I never make this stuff up, because I don't have to."

No comments: