Sunday, November 07, 2010

Los Rios Street after dark (one hour earlier)

We used our extra hour of darkness this evening to stroll around the oldest continually occupied neighborhood in California -- the Los Rios District in San Juan Capistrano. It's one of those spots that takes on a wonderful vibe after the sun sets. By all means, everyone should explore the area during the day -- But definitely come back to see it again in the evening.
.
By the way,... Some of the homes and families along Los Rios Street date back to the 1700s and early 1800s. (And you thought you'd lived here a long time!)
I took these two photos tonight, after dinner at the historic El Adobe Restaurant. The photo at the top of today's post is a small cottage on the Rios family's property. The one below shows the San Juan Capistrano train depot, built in 1894.
.
Sorry,... We didn't see a single ghost.

2 comments:

  1. I know this place very well. My dad worked at the El Adobe for many years back in the 1960s. Fantastic pics. Much appreciated, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL!!! I love walking around down there but never thought to do it at night!!

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I had to shut down comments (my favorite part of the blog) thanks to endless spam. Most of my posts are linked from my FB page and/or from the Orange County California History FB group. Feel free to comment there or to email me. If I can find a more secure way to do so, I will bring back normal commenting later.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.