Saturday, November 24, 2007

Early Santa Ana

This is Downtown Santa Ana in about 1895. We're looking west along 4th St, with Main St crossing directly in front of us. The tall building on the right is the Otis Building, which -- although seriously remodeled -- still stands. Also note the unpaved streets and the horse-drawn trolley just making the turn onto 4th.

I believe I grabbed this image off an eBay auction long ago, which means it probably originated with either First American Corp. or the Santa Ana Public Library.
.
I'm afraid the historical news has been a little thin lately, what with the holiday and all. I hope to have something more for you soon. In the meantime, I hope that these photos will help bridge the gap.

1 comment:

Chris Merritt said...

Holy cow! That is an amazing photo! Santa Ana used to look like that?