Monday, May 19, 2008

Twist-Basler, Seal Beach, Dana Pt, Googie & Huell

The historic Twist-Basler House in Santa Ana is finally being moved. The top photo shows what the original Broadway site now looks like, with one part of the house gone, and a second part ready to be moved after midnight tonight. The lower photo shows the first section of the house in it's new home at the Cabrillo Park Tennis Center. If you happen to get photos of any part of the house actually being moved, please let me know – Both I and the Santa Ana Historic Preservation Society would like to post them on our websites.
.
Sunday's L.A. Times included an article about SoCal's Googie Architecture. The article was largely based on interviews with Daniel Paul, Alan Hess and myself. I'm not sure how I became "Anaheim-based," (as the article says,) but I can think of worse accusations. (Related note: The same issue of the Times also featured an article on Programmatic Architecture.)
.
The Seal Beach Historical Society’s next meeting will be held May 22, 7pm, in the Senior Center at the Mary Wilson Library, 707 Electric Ave. Speakers Joan Stegman and Gordon Shanks will discuss the Society’s early efforts to preserve Pacific Electric “Red Cars,” including the transformation of one car into the Seal Beach Red Car Museum. [The museum (next to the library) will next be open to the public on May 24 and 25.]
.
The Dana Point Historical Society’s (DPHS) 7th annual Founders Day event will be held May 28, 7pm, at the Dana Point Tennis Center , 24911 Calle De Tennis. Call (949) 248-8121 for details.

The DPHS will also host a "Romantic Stroll Through Historic Homes & Gardens on the Bluff above Dana Point Harbor" on Oct. 5, 2008. I mention this in case you’re the type who likes to plan ahead.
.
Huell Howser’s week-long tribute to Orange County began yesterday on KCET. Episodes will air at 7:30pm and 12:30am each day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To say that Chris Jepsen is Anaheim-based is like saying that the L.A. Times is Moscow-based, but on second thought, I think the L.A. Times actually IS Moscow-based.

Chris Jepsen said...

It's a good analogy, because I'm at least partly Anaheim-based in spirit - Even though I don't actually live or work in Anaheim.

Anonymous said...

Does this new standard now make me Laguna Hills-based?

Chris Jepsen said...

Possibly. All I'm able to say for sure is that you would NOT be Fountain Valley-based,... even if you lived there.

Anonymous said...

I actually saw Laguna Hills for the first time just days before we moved into the Fountain Valley house, that was in April of 1982.

colony rabble said...

Hey, Chris Jepsen has helped document and preserve a lot of Anaheim, you can take a bow for that...and if I have my way you will be Anaheim based someday anyway. Colony prices are dropping (God help those of us who already own) so even historians and artists can buy here now...(grin)