Sunday, August 24, 2008

Buena Park, Huntington Beach & Lost Valley

Today's photo shows Buena Park Center in 1976. The architectural style clearly harkens back at least a decade earlier.
.
Chris Epting's latest "In The Pipeline" column discusses actress Jean Harlow's connection to Huntington Beach. Chris also has a new ongoing "Then & Now" feature in the Huntington Beach Independent, based on his recent book.
.
Today on "Notes From A Lost Valley," Phil Brigandi shows us how the Orange County Council of the Boy Scouts came to own their Lost Valley camp in San Diego County.

5 comments:

Bulldog 24 said...

Buena Park Mall
The smell of just popped Popcorn in the Sears store and a summer evening Orange Julius then window shopping come to mind.

Chris Jepsen said...

Thanks for reminding me of that! I don't think we ever went to that Sears when I was a kid, but I definitely remember the smell of popcorn at the Sears in South Coast Plaza and Westminster Mall. That was a big part of it's character and charm -- assuming it had any.

Anonymous said...

sears had the largest warm mixed nut bar ever in life. They would fill up the paper popcorn bags.
The mall had huge rock sculptures outside we used to play on.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the basement floor of the Sears had that huge nut display! The smell was incredible! Also remember the "Squirrel House" with the huge concrete pipes and cement sculpture to play on.

Bull Winkle said...

The Squirrel House and warm Karmelcorn were pretty much the reason I never hesitated to make a trip to the BP mall with my Mom or older sisters. The other day, I asked my oldest sister about the "house" and she didn't know what the heck I was talking about. She's a dork!