Monday, August 25, 2008

Huntington Beach and summer vacation

As the long, hot, holiday weekend approaches, I thought I'd post a 1950s photo of the strand at Huntington Beach. [Update: The second color photo I previously posted here was Oceanside. See what happens when you're getting ready for a trip and not paying attention?]
.
While cruising YouTube, I discovered an old documentary by Bill Miller, entitled Hopeful Journeys. It covers the history of the Huntington Beach Public Library from the viewpoint of the Johnson/White family, and also includes some general history about the community. It is posted in five parts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.
.
For the record, I'm taking a week's vacation from blogging. I should be back around Sept. 5th. In the interim, I refer you to the many excellent links on the right-hand side of this page.

8 comments:

colony rabble said...

Historians don't take vacations, didn't you get the memo? What will we do without you?

Chris Jepsen said...

Suffer.

;-)

Anonymous said...

The picture reminds me how much I hate the new "neutered" pier.

Just like that comment a few months ago about the D-land parking lot pictures that show what is now California Adventure: "I liked it better as a parking lot."

Well, I liked my pier better as a long, wooden, creeky thing with a greasy spoon shack at the end - not a chain restaurant."

Chris Jepsen said...

I agree that the old pier had more character. Unfortunately, the elements and time were tearing it completely apart. If we hadn't torn it down and rebuilt, we probably wouldn't have a pier at all now. In other words, it was an inevitable loss -- Unlike, say, MOST of H.B.'s historic downtown buildings.

colony rabble said...

OK, but bring me a couple bags of piquintos, please. May the red oak be with you.

Chris Jepsen said...

Mmmm.... pinquitos. Had some with my tri-tip at the Santa Maria Inn on Wed night. Last night's dinner was grazing at the SLO farmer's market. Still have Jocko's and both Hitching Post restaurants on tap later in the trip. Life is good.

Rixter said...

That top photo is actually of Oceanside, California - not HB. The hamburger joint is long gone, but the building still stands. Locals still refer to this parking lot as "Betty's Lot".

Chris Jepsen said...

Thanks to both Rixter and Kai Weisser for bringing my attention to this glitch. I've removed the Oceanside photo.