Monday, January 26, 2009

History at Fullerton Public Library

This book case housed the original Fullerton Public Library. It sat in William Starbuck's Gem Pharmacy on the southeast corner of Commonwealth and Spadra (Harbor) Blvd from 1888 to 1902. Eventually, of course, the library grew into the excellent system it is today. Meanwhile, the old cabinet is now housed on the fourth floor of Fullerton's Main Library, next to the Albert Launer History Room.
.
I stopped by the Launer Room today to search for a few old photos. It's a small but really wonderful collection of materials, from photos and maps to directories and local history books. Librarian Cathy Thomas is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. And some of her regular patrons are also quite helpful on questions of Fullerton history. (Thanks, Joe!)
.
If you haven't visited, please do so. And when you do, take special note of their framed map of "Orange County Adobes,... Trails, Ranchos & Springs" (similar to this one) above Cathy's desk. I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one of those next Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - Where can you get one of those maps? I would sure like one also. Love your site.

Bill

Chris Jepsen said...

If I figure that out, I'll let you know.

chaunacey said...

Hi Chris,
I'm a little late to the post, but I wanted to thank you for the kind words about the Fullerton Local History Room! Cathy is a treasure, and I'm glad that you got a chance to visit with her!

Many thanks,
Chaunacey Dunklee
(Sr Ref Librarian @ FPL)