Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dr. Sammy Lee

Today's photo shows U.S. Olympic divers Sammy Lee and Vicki Manolo Draves at the London Olympic Games in August 1948. Dr. Lee won a gold medal that year, and again in 1952 at Helsinki. But much of Orange County knows him as the man who taught them how to swim. Lee's swim school was a fixture in Anaheim for many years, beginning in the 1950s. Today, he received the 11th star on the Anaheim/OC Walk of Stars, in front of Disneyland. Click here to read more about it in the Register.

1 comment:

CoxPilot said...

In my Junior in Santa Ana High School I was on the (then brand new) Trampoline Team, and in my Senior year I transfered to Diving. Coach Caldwell was able to secure our training time at Dr. Lee's school at the corner of 17th and Grand (I think). I was fortunate enough to get a lot of good advice, and pointers from Dr. Lee.

Later (after marriage) I had some ear problems, and was able to realize the Dr. Lee was an even better physician than he was an athlete.

He was one of the nicest, and cheerful, persons I have ever met. It's wonderful to see how good he looks after all these years.