Friday, November 13, 2009

OCC, Neutra, Knott's, Tustin hangars & Mendez

Today I'm posting some photos of the old Richard Neutra-designed Art Center at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. I took these photos in 2000, just before the place was demolished.
The old Art Center was extremely functional and was an inspiring place to work. It also very effectively accomplished the California Modern goal of blending indoor living and outdoor living seamlessly. I'm sorry I didn't get more and better photos of the place before most of it was cordoned off.
Remember the "Knott's Beary Tales" ride at Knott's Berry Farm? Major Pepperidge at Gorillas Don't Blog has posted a great "fun map" of the ride illustrated by Chris Merritt, along with some other great images from Chris's collection. .
.
Despite earlier reports to the contrary, it sounds like the County is still looking for viable reuses for their historic Tustin Lighter-Than-Air Hangar. This is good news! If you have any economically viable reuse ideas, please feel free to post them in the Comments section below. It's certainly unofficial, but you never know who may be reading this blog or whether your suggestion might start a useful conversation. Indoor theme park? World's only indoor drive-in movie theater? I figure you can never have too many good ideas..
.
A new documentary about the groundbreaking Mendez v. Westminster desegregation case was shown today at Fullerton College. (Sorry I didn't hear about this soon enough to post about it earlier. If you have an interest in this subject, you might keep your ear to the ground for future showings of, "Tales of a Golden State: The Mendez v. Westminster Story," by Erica Bennett.
.
I'd like to reiterate something my Blogger profile has said from day one: "This blog is maintained in my free time. Views expressed here are mine alone." In other words, this is my blog, and I'm the one responsible for its content. That said, I definitely welcome your corrections, complaints, suggestions, kudos, or other comments. I do the best I can, but I always appreciate an assist. However, please contact me directly if you have a concern. We can almost always work things out and make corrections if needed. Thanks.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

You are doing a fabulous job and provide a wonderful service and minutes/hours of enjoyment to all those who stop by--- for free!

Keep up the good work, young man, and don't let the turkeys get you down (as one of my dear departed friends used to say.)

ItsNotAPlace said...

I have to seconds Vicki's response. Your blog is so fun to read. I have learned a lot about local OC history from what you post and the comments others post in response. Keep up the great work. I am amazed that you find the time to keep it going like you do. It shows that your love for our county's history is more than just "a job"... since you put in the personal time on this blog to share it.

Doug said...

Your blog in pure joy to me. You are presenting OC history and facts to a wide audience,who are in S. Cal and beyond.
I look forward to each new post with anticipation, wondering what the subject will be.
Thank you for your sincere and efforts.

Chris Jepsen said...

Thank you all for your support and kind words. I do local history because I love it, but it's interaction with readers that makes blogging so rewarding. I learn a lot from the comments and contributions that usually follow my posts. I've even made some real-life-not-virtual friends here.

Also, it's encouraging to check my counter and see that I'm spreading the gospel of local history to as many as 600 people a day! Never in a million years did I expect that kind of readership! Thank you for caring about the same stuff I care about.

CoxPilot said...

As a history buff myself, and one who might be a VERY small part of it all, I enjoy your blog immensely. My family has been a part of Orange County and Santa Ana since the early '30s.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those hovering visitors who does not comment. It's a concern when the best of the blogs administrators burn outbecause they don't receive tangible support (or what ever the case may be). This IS your time and YOUR effort. I appreciate it and have you listed in my blog roll. I miss Floydes posting at the Big Orange blog. I'll be forwarding the Neutra link