Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Boy Scouts and No Doubt

This is the cover art from the June 1953 issue of Boys Life magazine, depicting scouts from everywhere headed to the Irvine Ranch for the 1953 Boy Scout Jamboree. I love this kind of colorful, decorative, detail-laden map. I still have some of the free "fun maps" of Knott's Berry Farm that I picked up when I was a kid.
.
At least a couple of my purist historian friends will mock me for mentioning Gwen Stafani on my blog -- but after TLAGP, how much sillier can I look? Cynthia Ward writes, "A piece not only of Anaheim history, but rock n roll history, is up for sale! The home in No Doubt video "Sunday Morning" was Gwen Stafani's grandparents' residence, now for sale. Located in the heart of the Anaheim Colony Historic District, with a Mills Act either already in place or ready to go. Live in a Gwen Stefani video with reduced taxes and great neighbors!"
.
I believe the house is at 319/322 S. Ohio St.
For the two people out there who don't already know this, Stefani was born in Anaheim in 1969, graduated from Loara High School in 1987, and attended Fullerton College and Cal State Fullerton. And no, she doesn't live in Orange County anymore.

4 comments:

Allen P said...

Gwen's mother and grandfather worked at Knott's, in the Chicken Dinner Restaurant and Security respectively.

doug macintosh said...

Chris you are at the cutting edge of Tomorrow's History.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop on Gwen and her grandparent's home.
Recall a No Doubt tune about the "Tragic Kingdom"

Chris Jepsen said...

Open House for the property is tomorrow, Sat., Jan. 29, 11am to 4pm.

giddy girlie said...

I was friends with Gwen and the band when I was younger and I've been to her parent's house on Beacon Street in Anaheim (I think they've moved as well). But that was where ND made all of their original recordings (in the garage) and their first album was called the "Beacon Street Collection." Another piece of OC/No Doubt trivia is that at one point the band co-owned the Firecracker Lounge which was located in the basement of the Cattleman's Wharf (now a Holiday Inn, I think) near Disneyland. It was an all-ages club, which was an important part of the OC music scene in the mid 1990s (there were a handful of others too). Maybe I should write a guest post on the OC 3rd wave ska scene. HA HA HA HA :)