Friday, February 15, 2019

Trask is Dummer

Judge D. K. Trask, circa 1900
On the list of strange Orange County street names, Trask Avenue ranks right up there with Heil Avenue, Meats Avenue, and Weakfish Lane. Trask runs about eight miles through Westminster and Garden Grove, passing such landmarks as the Brodard Chateau restaurant, the Garden Grove Elk’s Lodge, car dealerships, Leroy L. Doig Intermediate School, and the headquarters of the Orange County Motorcycle Club. But where did Trask Avenue get its odd moniker?

The surname Trask refers to those from the North Yorkshire town of Thirsk, which Norse invaders originally named Tresc or Trask – meaning marsh. Although Westminster was pretty marshy in its day, the street’s name is actually a reference to the unfortunately named Dummer Kiah Trask (1860-1914).

Trask was an Ohio native who spent his formative years in Maine. He came to California in 1882, initially living in Stockton where he taught school, studied law, sat on the board of education, and served as principal of a business college and normal school.

In 1887 he married Ida C. Folsom (1860-1922). Together they would have four children: Ida Mary Trask (1889-1975), Dummer F. Trask (died in infancy in 1891), Dorothy Kate Trask Goodrich (born 1897) and Walter Folsom Trask (1896-1919).

In 1890 the family moved to Los Angeles, where “D. K.” set up a law practice and served briefly on the L.A. Board of Education. In 1898, Governor James Herbert Budd appointed him to a vacancy on the Superior Court of Los Angeles. Trask was reelected to a full six year term as judge in 1900, and for a few months in 1905 he was even discussed seriously as a candidate for governor.

Andy Osterdahl, on his blog, The Strangest Names In American Political History, writes that in early 1906, “…Trask (while still serving on the bench) accepted the presidency of the Consolidated Realty Company, which had been 'organized for the purchase of business property' in the city of Los Angeles.”

Trask did not run for re-election in 1906. Instead, Osterdahl writes, he "formed the law firm of D.K Trask and Co. and was also active in a number of non-political areas, being a longstanding member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge … and in 1910 was elected as president of the Jefferson Club of Los Angeles. Trask also held a seat on the Los Angeles Police Commission, entering into that office in 1909.”

In 1910, Trask purchased seventy acres in Westminster, bordered by today’s Trask Ave. on the north, Westminster Ave. on the south, Richardson Way on the west, and Beach Blvd. on the east.

D. K. Trask died of a stroke on March 12, 1914 while in the middle of ‘trying a lawsuit’ in probate court. Ironically, he died without a will. Ownership of the Westminster property ultimately became half owned by his widow, Ida, with the rest split evenly between his three living children. So far, no evidence has been found that the Trasks ever actually lived on this property.

When Trask Avenue received its current name is unknown, but references to it can be found as early as May 1926 when the road was significantly widened and improved.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Ranney Street, Garden Grove

Excelsior Dairy ad from the Santa Ana Register, 1916.
Alert reader Steve writes: "I recently ran across Ranney Avenue in Garden Grove and wondered who it was named after or what its history is. Do you know anything about it?"

Walter D. Ranney founded the Excelsior Dairy in 1915. This successful business was later run by his sons. The dairy was headquartered on Westminster Blvd in Garden Grove. The ranch covered the area between Taft and Wright (Brookhurst) Streets -- Today’s Ranney Street runs right through the middle of it. The company was dissolved in 1954, but the Ranney's Excelsior Creamery Co. in Santa Ana continued to operate for some time thereafter.

Friday, January 25, 2019

The Tree/Stump Remover That Broke the Groves

Weldon Field yanks a tree out of the ground – roots and all. (County of Orange photo)
Along with the Post Brothers plow and the Carroll Beet Dump, Weldon Field’s stump remover is one of the most historically significant pieces of heavy agricultural equipment in Orange County’s history. This custom-built tree-removing machine fell off everyone’s radar screen for a few decades, but perhaps at least a small version of it has resurfaced.

In the 1930s, fruit and nut groves dominated Orange County’s landscape and economy, and the removal of sick or dying trees was an important step in the agricultural process. Young mechanic and Orange High School graduate Weldon Lane Field (1908-1990) grew up in McPherson – now part of Orange – and spent countless hours helping his citrus rancher father dig up trees. As he did, he came to envision a mobile device that could tear trees from the ground, roots and all, saving hundreds of man hours each year.
Weldon Field and wife Mildred, 1937. (Orange Public Library photo)
Field bought a Caterpillar crawler tractor and began to deconstruct and rebuild it to match his vision. He modeled his machine after a boot jack. To the tractor frame and engine he added a large V-shaped pulling implement, ten heavy cables, two huge “duck feet”, connecting gears, old car parts, wooden-spoked wheels, a transmission lock-out, and other bits and pieces.

"Once the tree was caught within the steel V, the machine's approximately sixty-ton force lifted it straight up from the ground,” wrote Francesca Russello Ammon, in her book, Bulldozer: Demolition and Clearance of the Postwar Landscape. “Then the operator would use a shovel and chain to pull up any roots that had broken off during the process. Beginning in the late 1930s, Field applied his stump puller to the removal of trees damaged by disease, gophers, or frost in Orange, Los Angeles, and Riverside Counties.
In the groves, a group including Field (right), stands with his machine. (County of Orange photo)
“The period after World War II offered even greater opportunities for his stump puller. As Field recalled, ‘I pull the old seedling walnuts when they were taking out the walnut trees around here and putting in citrus. I pulled a lot of those with it. Then eventually I pulled the citrus trees out for houses.’"

 The process, including uprooting, clean-up and grading the land, generally cost developers about a dollar per tree.
Weldon Field with his tree puller at the U.C. South Coast Field Station, 1970. (O.C. Register photo)
The population boom of the 1950s and early 1960s saw the conversion of Orange County from a primarily agricultural area into suburbia. Driving this change was a high demand for housing, a disease called “quick decline” destroying orange groves, and new modes of tax assessment that punished farmers for farming.

By the time Field retired, around 1963, he figured he’d torn out 350,000 trees with the machine – most of them citrus.

In 1970, Field brought the machine (and himself) out of retirement to remove experimental trees at the University of California’s South Coast Field Station in Santa Ana. It may have been used there for a number of years.
(L to R): HB&P Ranger Rich Huffnagle, GSA’s Bob Erskine and Manuel Garcia with tree puller at a County of Orange facility, Fall 1994. (Orange County Archives photo)
Field died in 1990, and four years later the Orange County Harbors Beaches and Parks Department (HB&P) acquired his stump remover. An article in the Orange County Environmental Management Agency’s Nov. 1994 newsletter, Inside EMA, noted some of the machine’s interesting features: “…In place of a dipstick, the engine has a float to indicate the engine oil level. There are also markings on the frame that indicated when the tree and stump remover was serviced and how much Weldon charged to remove trees. … George Key Ranch and areas around what is now Heritage Hill Historical Park also used Weldon’s services to remove diseased and dead trees.”

The article then gives us a hint as to the agency’s plans for the stump puller: “In cooperation with GSA/Transportation, Supervising Park Ranger Rich Huffnagle of HB&P/Coastal Facilities expects the [machine] to once again be operational and put on display at a county historical park.”

Over the years, HB&P morphed into OC Parks, and officials with that agency, including the Historical Parks division, seemed to have no idea that they’d ever even owned such a device. Had the machine gone missing or sold for scrap? Or was it right under the nose of someone why just didn’t know what it was?
Stump Puller seen in Victorville, California in 1996. (Photo by Richard Walker)
Finally, in late 2018, during a visit to the Orange County Archives, OC Parks Historic Resource Specialist Justin Sikora mentioned a similar machine that was stashed around the corner from the old Bennett House at the County’s Heritage Hill Historical Park in Lake Forest. A few days later, he sent a photo of the machine. At first, it seemed like a small version of a stump puller, but it turned out to be a hand-built deep well irrigation pump puller.

In 1996, vintage tractor enthusiast Richard Walker was at an auction in Victorville, and took several photos of a “shopbuilt stump puller mounted on a Caterpillar 22 crawler tractor, designed and built by mechanical master Weldon Field, of Orange...” The stump puller was not part of the auction and seemed to belong to the collector of farm equipment on whose property the auction was being held. 
Irrigation pump puller at Heritage Hill Historical Park, Dec. 2018. (Photo by Justin Sikora)
Was the machine donated to the County the same one seen in Victorville? We might need better photos of both to be sure. Walker writes, "Over the years Weldon fabricated several stump pullers on crawler tractors. The 22 was his last. I believe a previous version was built on an earlier Cat 30."

[Article updated 1/29/2019. Thanks to Richard Walker for answering some of the questions raised in the earlier version of this post.]