Today's photos show Anaheim shopping centers in the 1960s. The first (top) shows East Anaheim Center, at Lincoln at State College Blvd, in December 1966. East Anaheim Center incuded a Sav-on Drugs and a Grants department store.
The second image shows Anaheim Plaza near the freeway and Euclid Ave around 1960. Anaheim Plaza was altered dramatically in the 1990s. New features included a postmodern take on large-scale roadside signage, bright colors, and one of the first Walmarts in Orange County.
As long as we're talking about Anaheim, perhaps this is a good time to return to the subject of changing street names. Here are a few of the Anaheim street names that have changed over the years:
- Anaheim St (in both Anaheim and Placentia) is now Miraloma Ave.
- Anaheim-Olive Rd. and Center St. are both now (mostly) Lincoln Ave.
- Dowling (in both Anaheim and Placentia), along with Carolina (in Placentia) is now Kraemer Blvd
- Los Angeles St (the State Highway) is now Anaheim Blvd.
Palm is now part of Harbor Blvd.
- West St. (between the 5 Fwy and Katella) recently became S. Disneyland Dr.