Friday, April 11, 2008

Cook's Corner, Yost Theatre, photos, and Stanton

Cook's Corner in Trabuco Canyon, as it appeared in 1966.
Long ago, Colleen Robledo (now Greene) set up a great Orange County History photo group on Flickr. So far, I'm the only other person who's joined and posted anything. If you're interested, please stop by and contribute an image or two. (Update 8/30/2023: I took over maintaining the group quite a few years ago. We now have 500 members and many contributors and are always happy to have more!)
.
The grand re-opening of the historic Yost Theatre, at 307 N. Spurgeon in Santa Ana, will be held tomorrow, April 12, at 6pm. The entertainment will include a documentary about the theater, live music, and a play. Vintage cars will be on display and everyone is encouraged to dress in the fashions of the 1940s and 1950s. Admission is $5 (and ages 10 and under are free).
.
Today is the 96th anniversary of the establishment of the original Stanton post office.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gracias for the plug, Chris, but the film that will be shown is actually a documentary (in English!) on the Yost. Other entertainment is music and a play by Louie Olivos, whose family ran the Yost for decades.

Chris Jepsen said...

Thanks, Gustavo. I'll correct that. I saw the title, "El Yost en la Ciudad de Oro," and figured the rest of the film as in Spanish as well. The advertising card Mary Garcia gave me was also a little hazy about the other entertainment, so I just put down the parts that made sense.

Anonymous said...

Anyone remember what the squiggly lines in the road used to mean?

I do, but I'll hold off for the moment.

Chris Jepsen said...

Jack: That's discussed in the comments section of my April 11th "Red Cars..." post.