Sunday, November 09, 2008

Newport Harbor, Farrell's, Guy Ball and Tustin

Here's an interesting 1960ish photo of a 1936 Fleetwings F401 sea plane in Newport Harbor. It's an experimental plane, and as far as I can tell only one was ever built. It's a 4-seater and can fly up to 109 mph. Believe it or not, it seems to still be flying. It's currently owned by Yellowstone Aviation of Jackson, Wyoming.
.
After years of rumors, it looks like Farrell's Ice Cream Parlours may finally be coming back to Orange County. A recent Register article has all the details.
.
Author Guy Ball will be the speaker at the Nov. 17 meeting of the Tustin Area Historical Society. The meeting will be held at 7:30pm in the lounge at the Tustin Senior Center, 200 S. "C" St., Tustin. Guy will discuss preserving, scanning and possibly donating your old family photos.

5 comments:

Daveland said...

I spent many a birthday party pigging out at Farrell's. What a great place!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Hi Chris,
Fantastic shot of the Sea Bird. Could have your permission to use this picture for a future post I am planning to do on sea planes on my other Blog... PTA Transit Authority? Richard

Chris Jepsen said...

That would be fine with me. The photo came from OC Parks, so credit accordingly. Thanks.

walterworld said...

Thanks for the update on the return of Farrell's. I hope I get to go there sometime.

We had a very similar restaurant concept in my hometown of Modesto, CA. It was Dreyer's Ice Cream Parlour, and had the same old fashioned angle with a player piano and such. They must have tried to copy the Farrel's format. It closed sometime in the early 80's...

Take care---

PTA Transit Authority said...

Thank you Chris. I appreciate it. (Richard Viewliner Ltd.)