Thursday, July 26, 2007

Santa Ana, upcoming events, etc.

This week’s image is an old crate label for Bishop's Avocados from La Habra. I’m no expert on these, but I can admire the art anyway.

Sorry about the lag between updates. I could blame it on a lack of news (which is a legitimate claim), but it’s closer to the truth to say I’ve just been too busy. Between family stuff and prepping for tomorrow’s Googie talk in Anaheim, I just haven’t had much free time. Hopefully things will let up a bit in the near future.

The Santa Ana Historic Preservation Society (SAHPS) needs more space in the Howe-Waffle House, so the O.C. Historical Society (which has borrowed a corner of the house for many years) is now moving their library out and into a storage facility. It’s been a busy week over there for John Sorenson and company, packing and moving. Hopefully the storage facility will be a temporary solution, and better digs will become available soon. (Let me know if you have a good suggestion.)

Guy Ball writes, "...I posted a bunch of photos of the Santa Ana Naval Air Station (or Marine Corps Air Station Tustin, depending on your city of preference)... I'm also looking for more photos so if people have them, please let me know." He continues, “Also, I just added the National Register of Historic Places on the Santa Ana site.”

The Historic French Park Association, in Santa Ana, has announced the dates for their 2007 home tour: December 8th & 9th. There are many amazing houses in that neighborhood, so I’m really looking forward to this event.

Also, the next California Heights Home & Garden Tour, in Long Beach, has been slated for Oct. 21st. Details are available online.

The Costa Mesa Historical Society will hold it’s Old-Timers Day in Estancia Park (at the Diego Sepulveda Adobe) on Sept. 15th. This is a free event for folks whose families arrived in Costa Mesa prior to 1940. To contact the Society, call (949) 631-5918.
.
I hope to see some of you tomorrow at Anaheim Historical Society's annual dinner. If you're there, come up and say hello after the program.

2 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

I wish I could go! I'm in serious need of a better googie education!

Chris Jepsen said...

Hopefully, I'll be giving a version of this talk again sometime soon. (Although it probably won't have the same Anaheim spin.) I'll post the event info here if I do.