With all the interest in the new Katie Wheeler Branch Library (which looks like James Irvine's home), I thought it would be fun to post this 1913 image (top) of the actual Irvine family ranch house. The second photo (in color) shows the ranch in 1976, transitioning from agriculture to its current state. This aerial view overlooks the industrial part of Irvine.
Where street names have changed, old maps can be difficult to compare to modern ones. Nowhere in Orange County is this more true than in Irvine. Compounding this difficulty is the fact that some of the streets that do retain their old names are now in somewhat different locations. A few examples of Irvine street name changes follow:
- Central Ave is now Sand Canyon Rd.
- Como Rd is now Harvard Ave.
- Crosstown Rd is now University
- Lane Rd is now (more or less) Main St.
- Laguna Rd is now Laguna Canyon Rd.
- Myford Rd is now Old Myford Rd. (and another Myford Rd has been created.)