Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Serrano mystery, El Toro, and Mission Viejo

Today, we have a mystery image. Are these members of the pioneer Serrano family of Orange County? If so, who are they? First, a little background on this painting.
.
OC Parks Ranger Sue McIntire from Heritage Hill Historical Park dropped by the Archives today with the news that a number of items from the Serrano family had been purchased for the Serrano Adobe at Heritage Hill in El Toro. It seems one of the Serrano kin passed away recently, and an estate sale was held in Corona. Unfortunately, nobody in O.C. seems to have heard about the sale until after it was over. But luckily, Parks picked up some of the remaining items on eBay afterward -- including this painting.
.
It appears this painting was based on family photos. Are these folks Serranos? It is signed, "Navarro '86." The painting is also shrink-wrapped(!!), and bears a sticker on the back advertising "Clement Art Gallery: Picture framing, cleaning, restoration. 613 1/2 Howard St., Corona." I doubt that contacting the artist or gallery would shed much light at this late date. I think the odds are better that one of you attentive readers will be able to identify some of these folks. Please post something in the "comments" section of this post if you have information.
.
On a thoroughly unrelated note, the City of Mission Viejo's Heritage Committee is selling playing cards featuring 55 different historical images of the community. They also still have copies of our friend Doris Walker's book, Mission Viejo: The Ageless Land, for sale. The card decks are $10 through the Recreation & Community Services Dept: (949) 470-3061. The books are $25 at the Mission Viejo Library, 100 Civic Center.

6 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

It's a shame that no one has contacted you about this painting, these people. I recently toured the Serrano home on Heritage Hill and was amazed at what I learned.

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, where are the people in this picture from? I am asking becuase they resemble some of my family members from my fathers side. Please e-mail me back at jeannie_serrano@yahoo.com
thank you.

Chris Jepsen said...

If you read my post, you'll find that I don't know either. I'm hoping someone will tell us by posting something here in the comments section. Then we'll all know.

In the meantime, can you tell us which family members they resemble?

Gerry said...

Check with the Navarros

Anonymous said...

She looks like my great aunt Isabel Serrano Aguilar (1900-1907 the younger woman. My GG grandfather Francisco Serrano 1842-1922 left El Toro in 1880 to Corona (Prado-Rinco) area to a 1000 acre ranch owned by his father in law Antonio Aros. When the damn was built in 1938 the remaining family moved to Norco, CA. I will put the picture on ancestry.com and see if I get any information.

Reyna said...

I think that's from my aunt. My brother has a painting that looks similar. My great grandmother was Sara Serrano or something similar. This is cool! I'll ask him!